HOW DID AN ANTIQUE FAN MUSEUM FIND ITS WAY TO ZIONSVILLE?
Fanimation has a two pronged approach in bringing product into the market place. First are its original designs and secondly reintroducing antique fans with modern safety and control features; this approach has placed Fanimation in a league of its own but as you might image, it's the antique fans that lead to a museum.
Some years ago, Tom Frampton an avid antique fan collector joined the Antique Fan Collectors Association (AFCA). The AFCA membership has operated a museum since 1997 displaying fans on loan by the membership; this museum was hosted by Vornado Fan Co. in Wichita Kansas. Last year the need to relocate the museum became apparent, and Fanimation made the offer to house it at its facility here in Zionsville. The move and set-up have taken nearly a year but July 23, 2009 saw it open. The museum houses some 450 antique fans some dating to the early 1880's. Tom's own unique collection of fans, are now part of the museum collection as hundreds of antique advertising style hand fans and other memorabilia.
A Few of the Museum's Highlights:
- The AFCA museum contains more than 450 antique ceiling and desk fans with over 140 manufactures represented
- The oldest electric desk fan in the museum dates from the early 1890's
- The oldest non-electric fans (steam, belt & pulley or water powered) dates from the early 1880's
- It is the only dedicated antique ceiling and desk fan museum open to the public in the world
- The AFCA membership has about 475 members worldwide
- The museum contains; some of the earliest battery powered fans, water powered fans, steam powered fans, belt and pulley driven fans, alcohol powered fans, wind up fans, electric hand held fans, ceiling fans, wall fans, desk fans, pedestal fans, rail car fans and fans that don't even look like fans.
- The museum contains hundreds of hand held fans (the type you wave in your face) that feature advertising from manufactures, retailers, politicians and movie stars.
- The Museum is hosted by Fanimation, Inc a premier ceiling and desk fan manufacturer
- The museum was first organized in 1997 in Wichita Kansas and moved to Fanimation in May 2008